Friday, January 11, 2008

Goopy Gunky Eyes

Guess what? Having pinkeye doesn't necessarily mean that your eyes are actually pink. Nasty goopy slime sealing your eyes shut...That's a dead giveaway! Josh has the dreaded pinkeye! First time for everything, right? In addition, he also has a cold and a lovely gagging cough. I didn't take him in to the doctor yesterday as planned, because his eyes weren't pink and it seemed like the gunk was gone. Instead, I spent the night getting up every couple hours to clean his eyes off so he could open them again, get him a drink for his cough, put some lotion on his poor dry face, wash my hands, put some lotion on my hands (which are super-dry from all this handwashing!), crawl back into bed for a few more hours of sleep. It only took 15-20 minutes to get his eyes open this morning. Poor kid learns fast though. After a couple days of this, the panicky cry of "Mommie, I can't see! I can't see! I can't see you!" has changed to a frustrated "Mommie, I can't see, open my eyes please!" It's still heartbreaking though!

We went to the Target Clinic today, which I recommend, just watch out for the grumpy male receptionist (who asks "What's going on?" and then annoyedly cuts you off when you start to explain with "All I'm doing is getting vitals, tell the P.A. what's wrong!"---Okaaayyy!). Josh now has eye drops. After 24 hours, I'm supposed to wash anything that has come in contact with his eyes (or him, since he's wiping his whole face on his sleeve and then touching everything in sight!). Mind you, I just did laundry a couple days ago. At least I didn't have time to do our bedding then!

Sorry to anyone whose kids may have picked it up from him. Not sure where he got it. I can just see all the kids in nursery on Sundays and Wednesdays; it must sound like a elementary school lunchroom: "I'll give you my pinkeye if you give me a cold and cough." "Strep throat and a double ear infection is worth a case of pneumonia." Seriously, what are they doing back there?! It seems like every couple weeks, my perfectly healthy child joins 20 other perfectly healthy children for a couple hours of playing. A day later, he has a cold, fever, cough, pinkeye, pneumonia, chickenpox, pertussis...(anything I'm forgetting?)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah, that makes me so happy that I'm still single and don't have kids :-) If anyone gets pinkeye, it'd be me, and then all I'd have to worry about was getting my own eyes open...yuck.

    Hope he's getting better and that you're finding grace in the midst of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah... so sad that Josh has pink eye... I laughed so hard at your description of the kids exchangin illnesses!

    ReplyDelete