Yesterday: Josh was hungry, so I made him a PB sandwich and told him to sit at the table. He was eyeing the 4 cookies left from our guests the night before. I asked him to leave them alone since we were saving them to share with his cousin, Dida. A bit later, I'm changing his diaper and notice some orange spots around his mouth. We had some Cheetos last week, so I thought, "Gross, he found a stale one on the floor!" Then I went in the kitchen and saw his sandwich with only a few bites missing. Hmmm...guess he wasn't that hungry after all. Upon closer inspection, I notice that there are no cookies, none, not even a crumb.
M: "What happened to the cookies?"
J: "The cookies are for Dida."
M: "Josh, did you eat the cookies?"
J: (avoiding my eyes) "The cookies are in my mouth."
M: "You ate all Dida's cookies?! Why?"
J: "The cookies are for Dida."
M: "But honey, you ate all the cookies. Now there are no cookies to give her."
J: "Yeah, the cookies are for Dida."
Apologies followed after some prompting and talks about obedience and not eating other people's food. But I guess he still felt guilty, because this was today's conversation:
M: "Should we bake some cookies and take them over to Dida's?"
J: "Yeah, Dida needs cookies. I ate the cookies all gone."
M: "Honey, why did you eat Dida's cookies?"
J: "They're for Dida. The cookies are for Dida."
Don't you love 2 year-olds? Such logical answers. "I ate them because they were hers." Okay, then!
I once drew on a desk with a crayon. When asked if I did it, I said, no, Nathan did it. Nathan had not been to our house in several days and the crayon was fresh from a few hours previous. When pressed with this information I knew I had been trapped, and admitted to the crime. The punishment was much worse for the lie. What does this have to do with Josh eating cookies? We were both two.
ReplyDelete